Uh-Oh, trouble with nanoproducts?

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Nano products now claimed victim:

The hospitalization of six Germans after they used a product called Magic Nano has renewed calls for better research into the toxicity of nanoparticles and possibly new laws or regulations governing their manufacture and use. Since March 27, after a German discount store began offering an aerosolized form of the product, which is a protective sealant for glass and ceramics, 79 people who used the spray have reported breathing problems and coughing. The six who were hospitalized for pulmonary edema have now been released, and typically the symptoms go away in about a day. The number of new cases dropped after the product was pulled from the market two days after its introduction.

The sickness may be caused by the aerosols' toxicity. But, if caused by "nanomaterials", then it is a warning for policy makers. Nano product should be throughly tested before it enters the market.


Technorati Tags : , , ,